Clean drinking water for minorities in Vietnam
Finally access to clean drinking water for a disadvantaged minority group in Vietnam.
Minority group: Muong
Since October 2019 we have been supporting this water project carried out by World Vision Vietnam. The project focuses on the Dien Quang municipality in the Ba Thuoc district. This municipality is mainly inhabited by the Muong – a minority group in Vietnam that is not seen as a priority by the government.
The project runs from October 2019 to March 2021 and aims to provide 3,572 people with clean drinking water and thereby improve their health and quality of life.
The population of the Dien Quang municipality has limited access to safe water. The problems are greatest in the villages of Muoi, Kho, Lung, Khuoc Luyen, Muon, Dao, Un and Tam Lien. They use a water source that got infected by the nearby cemetery, without using a filter. This leads to health risks such as diarrhea and eye infection.
Prolonged use of this polluted water has serious health consequences. Children who drink milk mixed with this contaminated water or eat contaminated vegetables often suffer from anemia, or even suffocation.
The local people use water from a source located near the cemetery. This water is seriously contaminated.
Especially in the dry season, the local population, most of the time women, spends at least 20 minutes a day getting water. As a result, they cannot work, while the costs for water supplies are high.
On average, the costs for collecting water are around 310,000 VND, which is equivalent to approximately 14 euros. This is a considerable amount of money for a family in this deprived neighborhood. Consequently, the people get stuck in poverty.
- Setting up an easily accessible and affordable water supply system
- Improving knowledge of the local population about of water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH)
- Improving knowledge about domestic water treatment and safe storage (HWTS)
- Improving the health of the local population through access to clean drinking water
- Stimulating the local economy through the construction of the water supply system
- Reaching 2,172 adults and 1,356 children (87% of the total population of the municipality)
- Which covers a total of 714 households in 6 target villages (Muoi, Kho, Lung, Muon, Un and Tam Lien)
Latest updates of this project
Vietnam update: the preparations
There is a lot involved in setting up a water project properly. This is not without reason, because our projects go much further than just establishing a water supply.Read more